We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
There are many reasons a person may end up with durag acne. Honestly, we’ve all been through it once or twice during the hair wave journey. Normally an improper wave rag tie, durags that are too tight, and dirty wave cap lead to forehead pimples. If you’ve experienced durag bumps, then you’ve noticed the straight line blemish across the forehead.
Amazon Audible Premium Plus Annual Membership is the way to go if you’re looking for an affordable way to enjoy your favorite books.
Click here for Amazon Annual Audible Membership!
So… what is durag acne?
A pimple is defined as an elevated infected tissue on the skin filled with a thick yellowish or greenish opaque liquid. The skin condition typically occurs in teenagers, young adults, and people with poor facial hygiene. Remember that durag acne is similar to the description but occurs for a different reason.
The bumps happen when the wave cap is tied too tight around the head, wet or dirty. A wet, dirty or extremely tight wave rag will result in a line of pimples across the forehead. This condition is known as durag acne, durag bumps, and durag pimples.
Sign up for our awesome Newsletter!
Now that we have a clear definition of what durag pimples are, let’s go further. So grab your favorite snack and drink and get a better understanding of durag pimple bumps and how to avoid forehead acne.
Do wave caps cause durag acne?
It should be noted that some people have more sensitive skin than others which could contribute to skin irritations. Skin irritation from durags material can trigger skin irritation. With that said, wave caps could absolutely cause acne.
For example, in my case, I have extremely sensitive skin… When I was on my 720 hair wave journey, I had to learn to make adjustments to avoid forehead bumps. Prior to making changes to the way I wore wave caps, I used to get little small pimples within hours.
I experienced an allergic reaction to the silk-like material the do-rag was made with. Keep in mind that I was also wearing my wave rag way too tight… At the time, I thought the tighter the rag was, the better my way would look. I was dead wrong, and my forehead paid the price! We all know how important wave caps are during the process of building waves… I’m sure you’re wondering, ” Wavy Wil, how I got around your du-rag dilemma?”. Well, my friends… It was very simple.
First, I stopped wearing my du-rag so freaking tight… Just a PSA, tight durag does not speed up the process for 360 waves. I also had to avoid the silk-like durags and switch to the more breathable cotton do-rag. Don’t laugh, but I also used to put toilet paper on my forehead before I would put on a wave cap. See how simple that was?!
Keep in mind there are other factors that could lead to durag forehead bumps… Let’s take a look at the other reasons for forehead acne.
Does wearing a wave cap cause durag acne?
As I mentioned, there are many things that could cause a line of small pimples across the forehead. Keep in mind that a reaction to the du-rag is not limited to just bumps… You may even notice a dark or red line across the forehead.
Let’s discuss what causes forehead acne from a durag.
- Dirty durag – It is important to note that good facial hygiene is a key factor when fighting against acne. That includes proper durag cleansing as well… Keep in mind that a dirty do-rag will absolutely cause forehead pimples. A wave cap is soiled by sweat, hair products, and facial oil secretion.
- Allergic reaction to the material – Not all material is created equal and could cause reactions once it contacts the human skin. I mentioned earlier when I wore durags made of a silk-like material, I ended up with a nasty line of forehead pimples. This was due to an allergic reaction to the material the hair wave rag is made out of. Keep in mind if you have sensitive skin, the wave cap material could cause durag bumps on your forehead.
- Wet durag – This is one of the most overlooked reasons for durag pimples… wet do-rags! Note that wave rags that are wet from moisture from sweat and facial oil increase the chance of forehead bumps. Avoid wet wave caps at all costs to prevent a line of pimples on the forehead.
- Durag is too tight – It should be noted that one of the leading causes of durag acne is tying a wave cap too tight. There are a lot of people out there who associate tight durags with great 360 waves. I was absolutely one of those people.
How tight should a durag be to avoid forehead pimples?
The age-old question “how tight should I tie my durag?” to be quite frank, it’s a fair question. There are many people who assume that a tight du-rag equates to perfect hair waves. I’ll put an end to that myth now… That is absolutely false, my friend! Tight durag doesn’t give you better waves.
A good rule of thumb when wearing a durag is to ensure it fits comfortably around your head. One way to do that is to place your pointer and middle finger between the durag lace before tying it around your forehead. Your fingers should fit easily in between the gap and forehead when tying the wave rag. Remember, a properly tied do-rag will help avoid the side effects of tight wave rags.
Side effects of a wave cap tied too tight.
I’m sure you’ve seen it, the guy in the neighborhood who wears their wave cap way too tight. It’s so bad that it’s to the point that it stops blood circulation. I’ll be honest; I was totally one of those guys… I seriously had headaches every day! I took the say “no pain, no wave gain” literally. Let’s go over what happens when you wear do-rag too tight.
- Headaches – Note that that du-rag tied too tight around the forehead for several hours could cause tension headaches. If you don’t already know, tension headaches are painful and could cause blurry sight. PSA… If your headache persists longer than an hour after removing the do-rag seek medical attention immediately.
- Durag line – Another thing that happens when a wave rag is too tight is durag line indentation. The line indentation could list for several minutes or hours depending on the individual’s fluid retention. Note, another side effect besides durag indention is it could lead to a dark line on the forehead.
- Forehead acne line – We’ve been talking about durag forehead acne throughout the article. Once again, a wave cap that is tied too tight will cause little small pimples on the forehead.
As you see, there are many side effects of wearing a wave cap too tight. Trust me when I tell you, the negative impacts outweigh the benefits of wearing a tight durag.
How long should I leave my durag on?
Keep in mind length of time you wear a du-rag depends on hair texture and making sure your hair is properly moisturized. For example, if you have coarse hair waves as I did, you will have to wear a wave cap longer than someone with fine hair.
Typically, the rule of thumb is 30 minutes twice a day and overnight during the evening. Of course, this scenario changes base on each individual wave care practice and hair type. Keep in mind it’s a good idea to brush your hair throughout the day prior to putting on a durag.
Quick example, say two people use the same amount of wave grease but one has coarse hair and the other has fine hair… The person with the coarse hair should wear the do-rag for 45 minutes to an hour twice a day. Whereas the person with fine hair can wear a du-rag for 30 to 45 minutes twice a day.
Can you wash your durag and will washing rag reduce durag acne?
The short answer made long… Yes, a wave durag can absolutely be washed, and I strongly encourage it. It should be noted that washing your wave caps is important in preventing durag pimples on your forehead. Besides, it’s just good hygiene!
There are various ways you can keep your wave rag clean. A good idea when washing your wave cap is to be as gentle as possible to prevent damaging it. With that said, you can wash your durag in the washing machine in a small load and on gentle. There’s another old-school option for keeping your durag clean is to soak it in detergent water and wash the rag by hand. The friction from hand washing the do-rag will remove the dirt and wave product residue.
As you see in the article, durag causes acne if it is dirty, wet, or too tight. A forehead pimple from a wave du-rag leaves nasty marks and can be painful. To prevent durag acne, you’ll need adequate space between the rag and forehead when tying the wave cap.
Another way to avoid wave cap acne is to ensure the rag is clean by washing it regularly. Be mindful of the material the wave cap is made with… The durag material can cause skin irritations if you have sensitive skin. Common symptoms of wave cap material sensitivity are redness, pimples, and dark lines around the forehead after exposure.
There you have it; follow the steps provided in this article to prevent a line of durag bumps. Now show your appreciation by liking, subscribing, and sharing this post… Let’s keep building our community together! Also, read the other article from AfroCurlsandCuts.com.